Dr. Timothy Brown, M.D. now offers outpatient bariatric surgery. Covered procedures include the gastric sleeve, duodenal switch and lap-band removal. Nationwide the trend is to perform surgery at ambulatory surgery centers. Patients are discharged 2-3 hours after waking from anesthesia and costs are considerably reduced. Along with a streamlining of the bariatric surgery process, we support innovation to lower surgical risks and recovery times.
His mission is to respond quickly and efficiently to get our patients on the road to good health. Bariatric surgery is just the beginning of your weight loss journey. For long-term success, you need to commit to lifestyle changes that support maintaining a healthy weight.
Dr. Timothy Brown, M.D. performs Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy surgeries for people who need, and want a better life. Support services include:
- Medical nutrition therapy to prepare you for your surgery
- Weight loss surgery support group for patients after surgery
- Follow-up care to guide you through your weight loss
Is Bariatric Surgery Right for You?
Many people question whether weight loss surgery is right for them. Weight loss surgery is a big commitment with lifelong effects, and we want to make sure that you understand whether or not it’s right for you before you commit. Bariatric procedures reduce the amount of food that a patient can consume in one sitting, and they also limit the amount of calories that can be absorbed and used by the body.
The result is caloric restriction, reduced appetite, and the correction of overeating behaviors.
Surgery can be a good choice for adults age 18 to 60 who:
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) over 35 and are more than 80 pounds overweight
- Have a BMI of 30-35 AND have at least one obesity-related illnesses such as:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Sleep apnea
- Severe arthritis
- Fatty liver
- Coronary artery disease
- Have failed to lose weight through nonsurgical methods, including medical weight loss programs, diets and exercise. (Some health insurance companies require participation in at least one weight loss program before covering weight loss surgery)
- Have a history of chronic obesity
Weight Loss Surgery Requirements
Our results come not just from our surgical expertise, but our comprehensive weight loss program that addresses both the physiological and psychological aspects of rapid weight loss in chronically obese patients. You must be able to commit to lifelong changes, including:
- Making substantial changes in eating and exercise habits
- Contact with a medical weight loss program, including follow-up visits with your weight loss team
We welcome all privately insured patients (Cigna, Kaiser, Aetna, United Healthcare, UMR, Anthem BC/BS, etc). Dr. Brown will continue to assist in the medical management of Medicaid and Medicare patients.